Saturday 2 September 2017

30th Aug Thomas Island to Haslewood Island – Chalkies Beach 18nm


So much for the peaceful anchorage!!! About 2 hours after going to bed the tide turned and the incoming tide brought the easterly swell into the bay. And as usual the boat was kept sideways to the swell by the wind. What a disastrous sleep. We rolled all night and at 7am decided this was not going to change so we had to make a decision to leave. I was not happy as I wanted another crack at getting a coral trout on the changing tide. However common sense prevails and I could not leave Tamara on a rocking yacht while I fished.


Decision made we headed for Whitehaven beach. Along the way many whales were spotted especially 2 parents and a baby they were coaching to breach. Great entertainment.


Arrived at Solway passage and decided Whitehaven was a bit windy so sought the shelter of Haslewood Island along the western side at Chalkies Beach.


We picked up a mooring and we swam and snorkelled the fringing reef at low tide and I tried to improve my underwater photography.


My target fish - A Coral Trout








Conditions stayed calm despite the wind so we decided to stay on the mooring for the night.

Spaghetti Marinara with lots of chilli was cooked and eaten with a glass or two of red.
After little or no sleep the previous night I did not attempt to read the book.


About 2.30 am the boat rocked violently side to side and the mooring buoy which I thought I had secured banged into the side of the yacht waking us up.

I had to go on deck to fix it and the wind kept us sideways to the gentle rolling swell. The swell might be gentle but the motion of rocking on a mono hull can be violent in these conditions.


Once the tide turned with some force and kept the yacht nose into the swell it was stable and we were back to sleep. Would have been a disaster if we had 2 sleepless nights in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment