Saturday 24 August 2013

23rd Aug Orpheus Island to Great Palm Island 15nm


It was a wonderful stay in Hazard Bay but it was time to explore some of the things that the locals had pointed out around the islands. Our first stop was Wallaby point on Great Palm Island. Here we found wrecks of the Catalina Flying Boats. Apparently this was their main base during the war. We found the broken up fuselage on the beach with some wings further along the beach and into the bush. We also found the frame of the wings in shallow water which would be exposed at very low tide.  20 years ago there was still one good specimen of the Catalina on the beach but the American reclaimed it and took it back to a war museum in the United States.

 Part of the Catalina fuselage lying on its side on the beach. 
We found the wings further along the beach. The engines have been removed.
The next stop was to be North East Bay but we did not get there. Unfortunately Echo Beach locked its anchor onto a coral ledge and could not be freed. After a few attempts to free it using the engine power we realized it was not coming off.
 On the way to free the anchor
 I pulled out my scuba dive gear and went down to tie a rope on the anchor. The current was very strong in the channel between Wallaby point and Curacoa Island. It was running at 2 knots so very difficult for me to swim with an air tank on. I managed to pull myself down the chain to the anchor. The water was very clear and that made the job easier. The anchor was very securely wedged on a rock that formed a bridge about a meter off the sea floor. Under the bridge was a big Wobbegong Shark. I was going to try and pull the anchor but the Wobbegong was in the way. I was taking no chances with this shark as they have lock jaw when they bite and they don’t let go. While it may not be fatal they can leave a nasty wound. I tied a rope around the anchor flute while trying to stay clear of the Wobbegong. I came back to the surface via the chain. After disposing of the dive gear I was in my dinghy and while Graham drove Echo Beach forward and slackened the chain I managed to free the anchor from the dinghy.  At last Echo Beach was freed. By this time it was one o’clock and too late to get to North East bay so we went on the inside of Great Palm Island to Casement Bay for lunch. Graham and I went fishing for the afternoon and brought home dinner. It was a very peaceful night with very calm conditions and another great sunset.

 Echo Beach in the fiery Sunset
Tomorrow we will try for North East bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment