Sunday 18 August 2013

12th – 15th August Horseshoe bay to Breakwater Marina Townsville 12nm


Peter and I had a relaxing few days in Horseshoe Bay at Magnetic Island before heading into Townsville Marina.  It is while we were in Horseshoe Bay for a couple of days that I did not run the engine and we discovered that the house batteries were failing. This was both fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate that the problem occurred near a big town that we are able to source batteries and unfortunate that the previous batteries only lasted 3 years despite maintaining them well. These were wet cell lead acid batteries that require topping up with distilled water every 3 months which I did religiously and kept them charged at all times. I since discovered these are only truck batteries masquerading as deep cycle batteries. They were cheap so I got what I paid for. This time I have decided to convert to AGM batteries which are sealed and low maintenance.  This was the advice from the guys at The Battery Business in Warriewood. They were fantastic on advice, price and service and had the batteries delivered to the marina in 2 days. The only trouble is they weigh 73kgs each.

 146kgs of batteries
I had a real battle to get them into the yacht. I called on the marina dock manager to help me carry them into Billabong. I then managed to get them into the seats by myself by building steps from timber I found at the marina. I could manage to lift the batteries 4 inches at a time until I got them onto the seat and dropped them into place. A very big job but I was very relieved when it was all completed. I just hope these last as I am not looking forward to getting the batteries out again.
While that was going on Peter flew out and Tamara flew in to be the crew for the next couple of months at least. Tamara has recovered well from her operation and is looking forward to the rest and relaxation that cruising the Palm Islands provides. The weather outlook is very good with hot sunny days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment