Saturday 26 August 2017

23rd Aug Townsville to Cape Upstart 77nm


At first light, we pushed back and exited the Marina. Townsville Marina facilities are good and the people are friendly. We always enjoy staying there and this visit was too brief. There was a weather window to get South and we had to take it. Light winds mostly east and north east meant we could get the long legs done without having to do an overnight back to the Whitsundays.

It was about 7 days early than when I had scheduled but we have to do it or we could get locked out for weeks.

Isabella came with us.

Cape Cleaveland


It was an all-day motor but the wind did finally swing around to the East and then North East which assisted with the sails up but the motor had to be on.



I was determined to catch a big fish that seemed to be alluding me as going past Cape Bowling Green I seem to get busted off or lures taken.

This time I got the wire trace put on and a brand new deep diving lure and it did the trick.

Only trouble was it was on my hand line and not the Alvey Reel which is easy to pull them in and save the hands. I had to put gloves on and it took 20 minutes to pull in my biggest Spanish Mackerel ever.

I now know what had been busting me off. They are big.

Any bigger than this you would let them go as they can contain ciguatera which can make you sick.

My Biggest Spaniard






We managed about 7 kilos of flesh after filleting. 38 pieces. That’s 19 meals for two.


About 7 kgs of beautiful Spanish Mackerel Fillets




I wanted to give Isabella a lot of fish but their freezer could only take 10 pieces. It’s nice to share the catch with others.

If I don’t give fish away I have to stop fishing as I cannot keep any more. My freezer is full too.



We arrived at Cape Upstart and had a swim in Shark Bay and tidied up. It was a big sunset with the cane fields burning.
Isabella in the Sunset




Isabella dropped their tender in the water and collected us for sunset drinks and dinner.

I had already consumed two gin and tonics in celebration of my good fish. So, I got a little merry for the evening.



After another delightful dinner of crumbed mackerel superbly cooked by Judy we were Ubered back to Billabong for a peaceful rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment