Friday 6 October 2017

3rd Oct Keswick To Middle Percy Island 70nm


When we woke there was no wind and it was a well-protected anchorage. Worth noting that for next time. At 6.30am we raised the anchor for the long trip to Middle Percy Island. The fishing lines were put out and we lost a lure with-in half an hour on something big because I had a wire trace and the 100lb line snapped.

The day was overcast with the occasional rain squall and the wind would come and go. If we could sail above 6 knots we did but as soon as the speed dropped below the engine was fired up. We had to maintain at least 6 knots to get there and we were pushing current all day.



About half way just as I was in the middle of cooking lunch a yell from the cockpit came “fish on”. I quickly turned the gas off with half cooked fish and eggs left in the pan and scrambled up to see what was going on. We had 3 lures out and 3 fish hooked. One fish let go after bending both treble hooks and I pulled in the biggest tuna I have ever caught. Possibly 10kg which is good size and great to eat. On the other line, we pulled in a spotted mackerel.





After all that pandemonium, I was washing the decks and my good fishing bucket slipped out of my fingers. We tried to retrieve it but I think it sunk or it was low in the water which made it impossible to see in the waves.



Two fish landed meant we had heaps so we pulled the lines in. I filleted the 2 fish on the way into Middle Percy Island.



We arrived at Middle Percy in time to go ashore and visit the A Frame and had a rum on the beach in memory of a young man Trent who was lost at sea around Middle Percy. Maureen knew him. We also had a drink in memory to Eric’s son Jai.



We went back to Isabella where we were treated to crumbed mackerel. Another delightful meal.



It was a great day despite the rain and overcast conditions. The anchorage was little swelly but good enough for a good sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment